10.09.2013

Applesauce and Apple Pie Filling

Have you been canning?

We have loads and loads of apples, peaches, and tomatoes on the Trail and I just can't keep up with them all!  I love the abundance of produce that is filling my shelves, pantry, and refrigerator, I just need more time to get through them all.  I have been s-l-o-w-l-y getting some canning done bit by bit and I wanted to share the procedure/recipe I use to can my applesauce and apple pie filling.

First, applesauce.  It's a bit time consuming and you sure don't get a lot from tons of apples, but I think it's worth it.  Luke LOVES applesauce...his wide open mouth says it all.  He can eat it by the cup full, so I have been trying to get enough canned to last us, well, as long as possible.

Canning applesauce
I used Pick Your Own for help.

Ingredients

Apples of choice
Sugar (optional)

Note:  You will get 10-12 quarts of applesauce per bushel of apples.

Directions
1.  Wash the jars and lids either in the dishwasher or by boiling them for 10 minutes.
2.  Wash, peel, core, and slice apples.  (I have a handy dandy Pampered Chef item that does this.)
3.  Place apples and a bit of water in a sauce pan and heat on medium high heat until apples get soft.
4.  Sieve the apples.  You can use a food processor or food mill.  The food mill is awesome!  You can add sugar now if you like, I don't think it's necessary.
5.  Fill the jars within 1/4 inch of the top and process in a hot water bath or canner.  The tops should be covered with water.  If using pint jars, process 15 minutes.  If using quart jars, process 20 minutes.
6.  Remove and cool the jars.

This apple pie filling is awesome.  I buy store bought crusts in the refrigerated section and just add the pie filling and bake.  Super easy!

Canning apple pie filling

Ingredients
Apples of choice
Fresh fruit
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch
2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground nutmeg
2 t salt
10 cups water
3 T lemon juice

Directions
1.  In a large pan, mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and water.  Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly.  Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
2.  Sterilize canning jars by boiling them in a large pot of water.
3.  Peel, core, and slice apples.  Sprinkle fresh fruit on as you go to prevent browning.  Pack the apples into hot canning jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
4.  Fill jars with syrup. 
5.  Process in a hot water bath or canner for 20 minutes.
6.  Remove and cool the jars.  


this stuff is awesome!
apples cooking down for applesauce

apple pie filling
peach jam, apple pie filling, applesauce...geesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...