5.15.2013

School Lunch Peanut Butter Bars


Unfortunately, I don't think my grade school was awesome enough to make these peanut butter bars when I was growing up. 

I. missed. out.  

I do, however, remember chocolate cake and pizza with ranch days...those were the best.  But, that's another post for another day.  

I found these bars at Tried and Tried Again and they are delicious.  I like how they're so thin, a big contrast to the thick bars I made last week.  In my opinion, they are more of a cookie than a bar, but does it really matter?  Kevin approved them, so they're off to Bible Study tonight.  I hope you try, let me know what you think!

School Lunch Peanut Butter Bars

Ingredients

Bars
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cup quick oats

Frosting
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 stick of butter 
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 T. cocoa
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 350.
2.  Cream together butter and sugars.  Add 3/4 cup peanut butter, vanilla, and eggs until light and fluffy.
3.  Mix together dry ingredients and gradually add to wet mixture until just incorporated.
4.  Finally, stir in the oats.
5.  Spread onto a greased large cookie sheet (11x15 jelly roll pan) and bake fro 12-15 minutes.  Cool for 10 minutes.
6.  Whip the peanut butter until light and fluffy.  Spread on bars.
7.  Melt butter in medium saucepan.  Add milk and cocoa.  Heat on medium, stirring constantly, until almost boiling.
8.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Gradually add powdered sugar until thick.
9.  Spread over bars.  Cool completely before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...